Fixing SummerBoard themes on 1.1.3/1.1.4
June 14, 2008
When we recently upgraded our unlocked iPhone to firmware version 1.1.4, we found that the third-party application SummerBoard refused to display any of the themes we downloaded. We had this same problem when we upgraded to 1.1.3 months back, but the third-party patch “SMB Themes Fix” did exactly what it was named.
Unfortunately, even after installing the Installer.app sources that we believed held SMB Themes Fix, the patch was nowhere to be found, nor was any similar patch that various sites claimed were available. Nonetheless, we found a quick fix over at the MacRumors fora, which involves running a simple command as root:
mv /private/var/root/Library/SummerBoard/Themes/* /private/var/mobile/Library/SummerBoard/Themes
One should be able to run this command by SSHing into one’s iPhone, but we simply installed mobileterminal [sic] and “SUID Lib Fix” to enable a root login locally. Thus, no need for a nearby computer.
After running the command, the requisite files are moved to the proper place for SummerBoard to find them, and they can then be selected accordingly.